Wednesday 11 July 2012

Academics don't publish for free - they pay to publish

I have an article being published in a great online academic journal in the autumn. I need to use an illustration for it which although out of copyright is held by a national art gallery. Because I don't have any funding, the gallery has very generously waived the 50 euro fee for reproducing this picture, but I must still pay for the image to be scanned and sent, together with VAT. This is a typical situation. When publishing my book Riverscapes and National Identities the costs to me personally were considerable - and some picture owners charged unreasonable rates, given that the book is not the kind that will ever make a profit.
If you have similar experiences why not comment below?

No comments:

Post a Comment